TNRC Minutes January 10, 2020
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Meeting Minutes for Transylvania County Natural Resource Council
January 10, 2020
The meeting was called to order at approximately 2:00 p.m. by Lee McMinn. The business meeting started at 3:30 p.m.
Alissa Coburn (Gores SP)
The program consisted of a presentation by Kenn Webb, Jan Foster, and Joele Emma about solid waste management and the plastic reduction taskforce.
Approval of Agenda: Unanimously approved
Approval of minutes from December 2019: Unanimously approved
February 14th, 2020- River Keepers, “What do they do?” (Jennifer Kafsky)
March 13th, 2020- Kudzu and Other Invasives (David Whitmire, Torry Negart, and other)
April 10th, 2020- (Tentative) Forest Plan Revision (Dave Casey and David Whitmire)
May 8th, 2020- Maria Wise, Director at Mills River Partnership: Monetizing Riparian Zones (Foster Creek Project at Living Web Farm) (Meet at Cooperative Extension, 9:30 a.m. Carpool or use our transport)
September 11th, 2020- (Tentative) Cedar Mountain Small Area Plan Treatment of Natural Resources (Bart & Kate)
October 9th, 2020- Mark Burrows and Tammy Hopkins- Blue zone
Lee McMinn is resigning as the chair of TNRC. Stephanie Adams has been unanimously approved as the new chair of TNRC.
Lee McMinn has withdrawn financial requests from the commission for money for the Ecusta trail at this time. There is a recommendation to endorse the concept of the Ecusta Trail.
Unanimous approval of TNRC recommending county support of the Ecusta Trail as outlined in the attached proposal (Davis Whitfield Cargile voted “present”. Per the 2015 Bylaws, this vote will be cast with the majority, rendering the vote unanimous.).
Updates from subcommittees:
Kent & Jennifer- Talking to the Brevard College Environmental Studies department about finding an intern.
Landslide Committee- Disbanded
Updates from public land managers:
Mary Smith- DuPont S.R.F.
• The forest is still very busy
• Currently, a timber harvest at Reasonover Creek should continue a few more months
• Starting soon on a reroute for the Hooker falls trail
Alyssa Coburn- Gorges S.P.
• Transitioning to the new campground while working to keep up with high traffic- looking to 2021 or 2022 for campground opening
• Found a landslide on Otter Hole trail, wintergreen trail will be closed
• We will be using an old logging road as a reroute, estimated to cost around $100,000.
David Whitmire- Town of Rosman, Wildlife Commission
• Wildlife Day January 11th
• Forest revision plan will be February 14th with a 90 day comment period
• Numbers for big game are up, deer and bear harvest equated to over 78,000 quarter-pound packages
Bart Renner- Cooperative Extension
• January is Radon Awareness Month. Test kits will not be available from our office this year but you can still go to NCradon.org to specifically request one
Kate Hayes- Transylvania County Planning
• Planning board is meeting Tuesday to prioritize road projects
The meeting was adjourned at 4:15 p.m.