Medicare Open Enrollment Now – December 7th, SHIIP Can Help
Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey reminds Medicare beneficiaries to compare and evaluate their current plans and make necessary changes during the annual Open Enrollment Period. Medicare plans and prices change. It is important for Medicare beneficiaries to take advantage of the Open Enrollment Period by contacting local Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) counselors to save money, improve your coverage, or both.
The Open Enrollment Period begins on October 15, 2020, and runs for eight weeks to give you enough time to review and make changes to your Medicare coverage. Changes must be made by December 7, 2020, to guarantee your coverage will begin without interruption on January 1, 2021.
It’s important to contact your local SHIIP counselor before making a decision about coverage because you may be able to receive more affordable and better Medicare health and/or drug plan options in your area. For example, even if you are satisfied with your current Medicare Advantage or Part D plan, there may be another plan in your area that covers your health care and/or drugs at a better price.
SHIIP is a division of the North Carolina Department of Insurance and offers free, unbiased information about Medicare, Medicare prescription drug coverage, Medicare Advantage, long-term care insurance, and other health insurance issues. In addition to helping Medicare beneficiaries compare and enroll in plans during the Open Enrollment Period, SHIIP counselors can help people find out if they are eligible for Medicare cost savings programs.
Here are some of the ways to review and compare plans available for 2021:
- Get one-on-one help from your local SHIIP office by calling the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Transylvania County at 828.884.3109.
- Get one-on-one help from SHIIP, the Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program, by calling toll-free to 1-855-408-1212, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Visit the Medicare website to compare your current coverage with all of the options that are available in your area, and enroll in a new plan if you decide to make a change.
- Review the Medicare & You handbook. It was mailed to people with Medicare in September.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) 24-hours a day, seven days a week, to find out more about your coverage options. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
For more information about SHIIP and the Medicare Open Enrollment Period, call 1-855-408-1212 or visit the North Carolina SHIIP website.