El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
GUIDELINES – EXTENSION MASTER GARDENER℠ PROGRAM OF TRANSYLVANIA COUNTY
The purpose of the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Transylvania County shall be:
- To aid in the coordination of Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteers in Transylvania County.
- To disseminate to Transylvania County’s citizens’ information on horticultural practices in accordance with standards approved by the N.C. Cooperative Extension in Transylvania County.
- To provide opportunities for Master Gardener℠ volunteers to meet with others who have similar interests.
- To expand Master Gardener℠ volunteer’s knowledge of and interest in horticulture and related activities.
- To support community and public gardens where appropriate.
Active EMGV members are graduates of the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Transylvania County who have submitted their signed annual re-certification forms and paid the $10 membership fee. (10-2017). On a continuing annual basis, active members shall give 24 hours of volunteer work in the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Transylvania County projects approved for that year by the Extension Director. Additionally, veteran members are required to get a minimum of eight hours of continuing education per year. Up to four hours of Extension-approved educational programs can be considered as earned volunteer hours (11-2017).
EMGV interns are students that have taken the formal training class and passed the final exam. Interns are required to volunteer a minimum of 40 hours in EMGV programs in order to graduate and become a certified EMGV. Six of the 40 volunteer hours must be earned at the garden clinic held at the Transylvania Farmers Market and 20 hours must be earned at the Gardens of Silvermont. These volunteer hours must be done during the twelve months following the end of the classroom training. Interns may not include education hours as earned volunteer hours their intern year. Exceptions may be made for pre-existing commitments and must be discussed with the Extension Director.
Active members are required to obtain ongoing education on an annual basis. To aid in this continuing education, the Extension Master Gardener℠ program in Transylvania County hosts educational programs on a monthly basis from February through November. There are several other areas where educational hours may be acquired through self-paced learning, including but not limited to, NC State University-sponsored educational events. The requirement for a program to qualify for education hours is that it is a high-quality, research-based program approved by N.C. Cooperative Extension or other organizations of higher learning
Volunteer hours should be entered on the EMGV website as soon as possible after volunteering. All hours must be entered by December 30 of the year earned.
In cases of medical and/or personal situations, an inactive status can be requested and must be approved by the Extension Director. To re-activate in the program, he or she is encouraged to work with the Extension Director to obtain recertification as set forth in the Extension Master Gardener℠ Program of Transylvania County Policies dated January 2, 2020.
- Master Gardener℠ volunteers shall elect officers at the membership’s November meeting. The Nominating Committee Coordinators, which are the Immediate Past President and the outgoing Co-President, or his/her representative shall present candidates for the offices. Other nominations may be made from the floor at the November meeting by a voting member of the EMGVs. A simple majority of those present at the November Monthly Meeting shall rule. The elections shall be completed before November 25 of each year. Newly elected officers shall take office and assume duties in December.
- Officers shall be elected for one year term except for the co-presidents which will serve two-year staggered terms.
- The Master Gardener Volunteers shall elect two Co-Presidents, a Secretary and a Treasurer.
- The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- Presides at Advisory Board meetings and EMGV Programs and meetings.
- Appoints chairpersons and liaisons as needed.
- The outgoing Co-President shall serve as a Nominating Coordinator for new officers.
- Takes minutes of all meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Emails minutes to the newsletter editor for email distribution to all members.
- Maintains a record of all minutes which are submitted to the Extension Director at the end of the year.
- Works with the Extension Administrative Assistant to obtain financial records for the program.
- Reviews financial records for errors.
- Provides a monthly report to the Advisory Board.
- Submits check requests to the Extension Administrative Assistant as needed.
- Keeps copies of all financial records which are submitted to the Extension Director at the end of the year.
The Master Gardener℠ volunteers work on behalf of and under the supervision of the N.C. Cooperative Extension. A Master Gardener℠ volunteer in Transylvania County Advisory Board shall be formed to assist in program planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Extension Master Gardener℠ program in Transylvania County.
This Advisory Board shall be made up of ten members including Two Co-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer, Immediate Past President, Educational Programs Liaison, Educational Marketing Liaison, Ancillary Support, Volunteer Coordinator, and Gardens of Silvermont Liaison. The co-presidents serve staggered two-year terms.
A simple majority of those Advisory Board members present at a board meeting shall rule. The term of office for board members is one year other than the two co-presidents who shall serve staggered two-year terms. The co-presidents shall determine the frequency and time of Advisory Board meetings. Board meetings are to be held at least quarterly. All active members of the Extension Master Gardener Program are welcome and encouraged to attend Advisory Board meetings but do not have voting privileges.
New committees may be created according to need and assigned to a program or committee section. Existing committees are reviewed annually.
Demonstration garden annual budgets drawn from the general EMGV budget are:
- Gardens of Silvermont operating budget of $1000. (7/2012)
- The Allison Deavor Herb Gardens operating budget of $200. (5/2019)
- The Pisgah Ranger Station Pollinator Gardens operating budget of $200. (5/2019)
- The Library Rain Gardens operating budget of $200. (5/2019)
- Capital projects over $200 will require board approval. (7/2012)
- The Farmers Market Booth will have a $500 budget for samples, promotion & educational materials. (10/2019)
A Speaker’s Fee budget of $500 shall be funded annually. (5/2012) Professional speakers that are not Extension Master Gardeners, not employed by Extension, and do not own a business in the community will be paid a maximum of $75 plus travel expenses to present a monthly educational program. Payment above this amount requires prior board approval. The Spring Symposium speaker’s budget will be decided on an individual basis each year. (6-2015)
BENEVOLENCE. In the event of the death of an active EMGV, $50 will be sent to a charity of the family’s choosing. Additionally, beginning in 2018, a plaque will be placed in the Silvermont Memorial Garden honoring the deceased member. For the death of an active EMGV’s family member, $25 will be sent to a charity of the EMGV’s choosing. In the event of a retired member’s death, a card will be sent to the family. Hospitalized EMGVs will receive a card from the group. (8/2019)
The Extension Master Gardener℠ program in Transylvania County is governed by the NC State Extension Master Gardener℠ Program Policies. These Guidelines are intended to supplement the State Policies. In the event of any conflict, the NC State Extension Master Gardener℠ Program shall prevail.
These guidelines may be amended at any time by a majority vote of those present at an Advisory Board meeting. These guidelines become effective beginning February 3, 2020, and replace those in effect since November 30, 2017. The guidelines were reviewed, revised, and approved by the Advisory Board as of February 3, 2020.